Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Preparing 40-201 for painting chassis

Regarding the black wire coming from the push-button switches: this wire is to serve as a ground for the coils and trimmer capacitors. The question I have is, does it matter exactly what ground lug I solder it to on top of the chassis? I am pretty sure it goes topside and not underneath, because I never saw a black cotton covered wire under the chassis coming to any of the holes in the chassis in that area. There are two ground lugs on the chassis that the control panel itself grounds to. I have two short green wires being used for that purpose. The tuning capacitor assembly gets grounded to two ground lugs closer to the tuning capacitor I believe. It may not make much difference on AM, but might possibly make a difference on SW.

On the pictures I took before taking anything off the chassis, but minus the tubes and control assembly, I can see one light colored (yellow or white?) cloth covered wire that descends through a hole just in front of the tuning capacitor. I believe this is the signal lead coming from the station preset switches that goes to a switch lug on the bandswitch closest to the side of the chassis. Underneath the chassis this wire appears orange or brown, maybe a discolored red? The lug this wire is connected to is near the chassis top metal viewed from underneath the chassis.

Can someone with a 40-195, 40-200 or 40-201 look at their chassis and see where the black cloth covered wire from the station preset switches is grounded? Also where the cloth covered lighter wire I mentioned above connects to? The black wire may not be visible without a mirror and a flashlight if the chassis is in the cabinet. The lighter colored wire would not be visible without having the chassis out of the cabinet. That wire connects to either capacitor number 24 (a 370pfd) or capacitor number 23 (a 270pfd). It looks like there needs to be another wire from one of these capacitors to a different bandswitch lug. I need to do some more checking.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Messages In This Thread
RE: Preparing 40-201 for painting chassis - by Joeztech - 11-30-2013, 10:01 AM