Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need model info 38-5, 46-131, 48-640

Hi John,
Bondo has its uses, but I try to llmit the use to only surface areas where there is something to hold it in place, Using it to make a missing large chip ,might work, but there is no strength in the egde part. It must be backed up on the other side using something like an epoxy for strength

Backing up can be done by simply roughening up along 1/4" of the crack, then flowing the epoxy along it.The roughened up area gives it something to hokd onto. If epoxy is applied to a glossy surface, it might easily peel right off because it's so slick.

I forgot to mention about your hippo set, if there are that many chips, and touch up would not look right, you may need to repaint. That's a whole 'nother thread, but I'd be hapy to help you when the time comes.

Some might remove the paint and leave the bare bakelite as a finish, but care must be used in removing the paint, not to scratch the bakelite. If it's a repaint, then you might not need to remove all the original paint. Paint that is well adhered can be used as a base for your new paint, featheredging the chips or apply a light coat of primer on the bare bakelite spots. The do the repaint. Some of that original paint does hold very well, and I'd leave it there (using as a base) if it's not flaking off all around.

Take care,
Gary.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by gary rabbitt - 05-20-2008, 12:11 AM
[No subject] - by phly guy - 05-20-2008, 01:03 AM
[No subject] - by gary rabbitt - 05-20-2008, 10:49 PM