Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dragging out an old nemisis-Philco 66 cathedral-SUCCESS

6A7 grid cap to 78 grid cap shows continuity. R38 is 2M. I guess I'm so used to things being wrong with this set, I'm gun-shy.

So, go ahead and start putting modulated signal into the grid caps and adjusting trimmers? I made a trimmer tool out of plumbing plastic pipe by heating the pipe up and jamming it onto a row of nuts the same size as the trimmer nuts. It works pretty well, but I have to remelt it every once in a while.

I want to adjust my signal generator tomorrow. It is an Eico 320, and is off by about 20KC or more. It has an adjustment, or trimmer (it looks like a small tuning cap), by the tuning capacitor. I can just connect to the antenna of the Philco 42-340 (my first restoration), tune to a known station in the area, and get closer to the markings on the generator dial, right? So we have a strong signal station at 680KC. Tune KKYX in on the 42-340 and then get the generator to push a tone at that frequency and adjust the generator until the generator dial reads 680KC and I get the tone at that point on the radio's dial. Bad idea? It might make more sense to use the generator like it is, knowing its faults and try to fix it after I get the Philco 66.

Charlie in San Antonio

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dragging out an old nemisis-Philco 66 cathedral - by ccomer1955 - 08-18-2014, 11:04 PM