Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dragging out an old nemisis-Philco 66 cathedral-SUCCESS

I got back in with the radio and signal generator for a few minutes. Put signal generator on the 6A7 grid cap with red on the cap and black on the ground clip. I get a loud tone at where 460 should be based on where 455 was for the 42-340. I wobbled the signal generator dial a bit and the signal faded and peaked as I moved the knob. I dialed the Philco 66, and heard the tone across the dial with a minor variation in loudness. I peaked both IF trimmer sets by ear, I got adjustment to volume from both trimmers on both sets, and I switched the signal generator red clip to the antenna.
One final update: I had static for a bit (very faint) static went away, but I am able to peak nicely at good volume with the signal generator on the ground and antenna posts for both IFs. What I can't seem to do is get any sort of signal except the IF of 460KC. Like all the other trimmers, the antenna and oscillator trimmers (C7 & 11) were screwed down all the way. The antenna trimmer's mica looks a bit ragged, but the trimmer turns and moves in adjustment. I turned each about a quarter turn from tight to loosen them, applied signal around at three different HF points (1700, 1400, 1200) three different times, and wobbled slowly on both tuning knobs (the generator and the radio) in turn giving both dials about 10KC on either side of the target. I tried a different 6A7, but no luck. I don't seem to be getting oscillation. No effect on the 42-340 when I turn the tuning knob across the dial of the 66. Seems like I'm pretty close, but not there. The AVC works...don't ask how I know.
Also tried broadcast and SW for static, neither worked. Put the antenna wire directly on the 6A7 cap, and also no luck. By the way, it's a stupid question, I know, but I should be using modulated signal on all these adjustments, right?

Charlie in San Antonio

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dragging out an old nemisis-Philco 66 cathedral - by ccomer1955 - 08-19-2014, 03:18 PM