Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Radio Newbie in need of some guidance for an 84

Codefox, I have done that and it checks out as good.

I have come across something that I am not sure is normal or matters. With all wires, caps and resistors removed from my chassis ( a bare chassis) , I have been checking for shorts around the tube sockets. I am finding that the 42 tube socket only has continuity from ONE of the rivets to the chassis, on one of the 77's neither rivet has continuity. I would expect that these rivets would give me a reading since they rivet directly to the chassis. Does this create a problem and if so, I assume the solution is removing the rivets with a Dremel tool and using screws/nuts?

EDIT UPDATE - I took an AWL and inserted it in the rivets that were not grounded and spun them. This has corrected the problem with continuity and now all my tube sockets show good continuity to the chassis. Only question that remains is , what problem would this cause, except for possibly some hum (whenever I get this radio working) Icon_smile

Thanks Ron

Messages In This Thread
Philco 84 - by rciancia - 01-07-2015, 08:18 PM
RE: Radio Newbie in need of some guidance for an 84 - by rciancia - 01-17-2015, 04:23 PM
RE: Philco 84 - by KCMike - 01-07-2015, 10:22 PM
RE: Philco 84 - by BrendaAnnD - 01-07-2015, 10:53 PM
RE: Philco 84 - by morzh - 01-07-2015, 11:36 PM