Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Found today in the local Goodwill.

Thanks guys,

Cabinet is polishing up well, I am not going to strip it. Rubber idler was in good shape. Platter needs a reflocking.

Syl, I know the cart is bad as most are of this type. Not sure what to do about it. (West Tech rebuild for a customer didn't sound right last year) The brand of cart says "American" on it, not sure if it's original, but fits in perfect.

The unit as Ron says tunes from about 530kc to 590kc.

I have recapped/ restuffed it already, and it sends out a clean carrier. I tried connecting a small mp3 player to the tone arm leads, and only a very weak sound is transmitted, at full volume of the player. I found a bad resistor,( 99k tested 160k) , and I'm going thru the others tonight. I figure not much can go wrong with these, maybe something I am overlooking.

One thing odd, the diagram showed two AC line caps in the filter block. 3903-DG (two .01s)
The block in the unit, looked factory installed was a 3903 SG (one .01) this wouldn't have anything to do with the sound issue though.

Anyhow, I will mess around and see if I can't get some sound transmitted tonight. Would the impedance be a big factor compared to the xtal cart, and trying to inject the output of an mp3 player cause no sound?

Take care , Gary

Messages In This Thread
Re: Found today in the local Goodwill. - by Syl - 01-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Found today in the local Goodwill 2 - by DeckApe - 01-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Re: Found today in the local Goodwill. - by gary rabbitt - 01-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Re: Found today in the local Goodwill. - by Syl - 01-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Re: Found today in the local Goodwill. - by Arran - 07-13-2009, 11:47 PM