Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need help with a Philco 42-350

Did you rebuild the IF cans? There is a 4000 uuF mica capacitor inside the 1st IF that goes between the XXL plate and the band switch. You can probably test it if your meter has a capacitance function. If you didn't rebuild the cans, there might be some rotten wire that should be replaced.

When there is an intermittent problem that is solved by the touch of a meter, I usually suspect some unwanted capacitance somewhere, either because of an open resistor that normally bleeds off a charge, or because of a bad contact. Try cleaning the band switch and push-button switch block with something like deoxit. Double check your solder joints. Sometimes old wire will look like it has soldered, but really makes poor contact with the solder.

I actually have a similar problem with a 42-355 that I listen to almost daily. The push-button stations will suddenly go away but will come back when I push any of the other push buttons and then switch back to the station I was listening to. I cleaned the switches before I put the chassis back in the cabinet, but the problem developed not too long after. I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet because of other projects, but I'll do it soon.

Let us know what you find out, because it might be related to the problem with my radio.

John Honeycutt

Messages In This Thread
Need help with a Philco 42-350 - by wmcpherson99 - 09-22-2015, 11:26 PM
RE: Need help with a Philco 42-350 - by Raleigh - 09-23-2015, 11:04 AM