Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First Thread - What to do with this 38-116

I absolutely agree with 95% of what was said above. I think this radio deserves a proper electronic restoration including replacing all the paper and electrolytic caps, and I would just go ahead and replace all the resistors as well and save having to go back in later. The only thing I would disagree on is that I see no problem with installing an optional line input. Remember, this will only be a mono amplifier, so you will need to Y the stereo inputs before they go into the audio input jack. A small RCA jack might be mounted in an uncluttered spot on the back of the chassis, and connected to the first audio stage. This was a common modification to these sets in the 1940s and 1950s so that people could add a turntable. I know the purists will scream, but I don't have a problem with it myself. It adds new functionality to the set with a hardly noticeable modification that allows people to use it in modern ways for years to come.

Messages In This Thread
RE: First Thread - What to do with this 38-116 - by mikethedruid - 09-25-2015, 01:38 PM