Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Questions about Restoring a Grebe Synchrophase MU-1

Hi Everyone,

Some time ago, I picked up a rather worn Grebe Synchrophase MU-1. I just love the look of these radios! I'm not sure where it was kept, but the inside absolutely STINKS, so I've started disassembling the breadboard with the intent of cleaning everything to get rid of the smell. After getting most of it apart, I have a few questions.

I opened up one of the original paper-rolled caps. It seems this one is supposed to measure 1.0uF and mine measures 1.2uF. Should I close it back up or replace it with one that is not 90 years old?

Next up is the plastic ring that sits on top of the tuning dials. These rings have a small "cup" on the bottom side where the beaded chain snaps in to tie the three tuning wheels together (I presume this is the source of the "synchrophase" name). The problem is that for two of my rings, the little cup that hangs down is broken, so it won't hold the chain. Thus, the three dials will no longer move in unison. Any ideas on how to solve this problem without replacing the part?

And finally - at least for now - what is the best way to clean the brass escutcheons on the front? The RadioBoulevard article on these recommends Easy-Off Oven Cleaner, but after 2 hours of soaking, it didn't accomplish much. Any recommendations? The left one was sprayed with Easy-Off and the right one is untouched. I am thinking they are not supposed to look like new and shiny brass... but this isn't to my liking.

Thanks for the help!
Eric

Messages In This Thread
Questions about Restoring a Grebe Synchrophase MU-1 - by EricS - 09-18-2014, 07:55 AM