Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Serious interference at the higher frequencies

I have had it in mind to revisit the alignment of my 66 cathedral since I took it off my bench. I was doubting the calibration of my signal generator (Eico 320), so I kept putting it off. I was going to buy a frequency counter to calibrate the signal generator, but opted for a small digital radio instead ($8 vs. $50). I got the digital radio today, put some batteries in it, and fired it up. Imagine my surprise when I discovered the same buzzing and station masking at the higher frequencies as on the 66! I took it out to the backyard (a big space-hundreds of feet back there) I was at least 100 feet from my house and about 90 feet from the nearest house and found only a marginal difference in the buzzing interference which seems to get a bit louder if the radio is tuned to where a station should be.
Any guesses about the sources? Wi-fi networks abound out here, every house is all-electric with central air and heat from heat pump units, we have no electric sub-stations near us, my cable TV has to get a signal bump from a signal booster so I assume I'm not alone in that problem. It looks like this is an issue that has no solution since it is everywhere in the neighborhood.

Funny how the problem is worse on the 66 than on other radios in my collection.

Charlie in San Antonio

Messages In This Thread