Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

UPDATE: Tubes tested. Canadian Philco Radio: ID and repair needed

Hey, all. This is my first post. I just picked up a tube radio at a flea market. This is my first Radio and I think I may have caught the bug. These things are way cool!

I cannot ID this radio, nor get a schematic. The chassis label is also missing.

It's a 5 tube Canadian Philco with an 1A7EG, 1N5EG, 1H5EG and 2 x 1A5EG (these are on a sticker pasted inside the cab). The Radio is a A/B Battery only tabletop set with a band switch for SW/BC. All tubes are present (but are G/GT) and filament pins 2,7 on all tubes show a few ohms continuity. I do not have a tube tester.

I think this set may be a 1942 48T but I'm not sure. It looks EXACTLY like image of the 48T on this forums website under "philco in canada"

I traced back the A+ and A- from the tubes to the on/off switch then to a 2 prong plug on the power cable.
I traced back B+ and B-, it seems to be wired for 2 x 45 volt batts in series and a separate 1.5v batt.

I powered it up.

Nothing. Filament Voltage drops to 1.2v. Caps are all original, I'll recap the papers and try again. Since they are all original, I'm thinking re-stuff the paper tubes?

Has anyone seen one of these Radios before? Or a schematic? I can post pics if required.

-Ritchie.

Messages In This Thread
UPDATE: Tubes tested. Canadian Philco Radio: ID and repair needed - by Ritchie - 03-10-2015, 12:45 PM