Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Speaker cabinet, Emerson, and Kadette Resto Chronicles

(04-14-2016, 10:58 PM)Arran Wrote:  
(04-13-2016, 11:31 PM)mikethedruid Wrote:  I noticed in the discussion talk about foggish plastic dial lenses because of oxidation causing micro cracking of the surface. I wonder if anyone has tried the poly polish that they use to restore plastic car headlight lenses on them ? I haven't, but I may next time I run into the problem, as it just occurred to me. I wonder if anyone here has tried it before me ?

In the case of the Kadette, and many other sets with a celluloid dial lens you are dealing with what is essentially a thicker plastic film that was heated and molded into the required shape, headlight or taillight lenses are considerably thicker, maybe 3/32''of an inch at it's thinnest verses 1/32 at it's thickest for the celluloid, but maybe closer to .030'' of an inch. I don't think that it would be possible to buff or polish the cracking out of one of these, especially the Kadette, the cracking is on both sides and deep enough that there really would not be anything left of the plastic afterward.
Regards
Arran
These polishes don't wear down the old plastic, they lay down a thin layer of new plastic over the old as a liquid which fills the old scratches and cracks, and is buffed off the surface with a very smooth cloth. The result makes the scratches and dullness much less visible. The only other solution I can think of is to make a wooden mold that replicates the inside of your present dial cover, and make a new one with clear plastic with a vacu-forming outfit.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Speaker cabinet, Emerson, and Kadette Resto Chronicles - by mikethedruid - 04-26-2016, 09:38 AM