Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Candohm and push buttons for a Philco 41-280

With the CT lead (black & white) clipped, I don't see how you get hum or any audio at all, since the CT supplies B+ to the output tubes through the transformer primary. Without B+, you get no audio.

Are you sure it is the CT lead (black and white) that is clipped?

The transformer has 5 leads. Check to see if one of the secondaries, a bare wire, is bent back and soldered on to the metal shell of the transformer. If so, it grounds through the rivets that hold it to the chassis. That leaves the four lead wires that you see. The other secondary, which may be a sleeved bare wire, is connected to the terminal strip beside the transformer, where it connects to one of the speaker voice coil wires.

The three primary wires, including the CT, should be connected as you described. I think in the 41-280 the CT wire should connect to pin 3 of the 41 tube near the rear edge of the chassis.

I would try to solder a new lead where the old one was clipped, but before applying power, use your ohm meter to make sure the transformer is good and the connection to your new lead is good. These radios are notorious for open output OT primaries.

John Honeycutt