Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Would You touch this wi th a ten' pole?? I need my head examined!!!

I must be possessed!!!
What it is a is a variant of the National HRO Jr called a RAS. Built for the Navy just before WWII. Was use to monitor low frequency ship communication. The Navy wanted a set that could tune continuously from 190kc- 500kc. The HRO couldn't as it has an IF frequency of 456kc. The RAS uses a 175kc kc. The coil packs are NOT interchangeable with the HRO because of the different IF. They do look the same and cover from 195kc to 30mc without any bandspread options.

I can tell It's Navy cause it looks like it's spent most of it's life under water. It's pretty rusty. Under the chassis seems to have some rodent damage as most of the paper caps have the paper labels chewed off of them.
In it's oringinal form it was made to mount into a 4' desk top open rack. It does have it's spkr, 110v power supply and coil box(storage)

Not sure whearter I'll fix the reciver it's a rusty mess. But the price was right (almost free). At minimum I'll fix up the p/s,spkr, and coil box to use with one of the HRO seniors.

It will keep me busy for a while...

Terry

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Would You touch this wi th a ten' pole?? I need my head examined!!! - by Radioroslyn - 08-09-2015, 11:14 AM