Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Turning a Crosley 66CS into a 66TC

I gave it a try, and it works alright, but the smaller speaker maxes out way before the volume control is maxed out. I'm wrong about the speakers, though. They seem to be old PM with output transformers mounted on them. The measurement across the magnet is about zero on both speakers.
The 10" speakers transformer is around 450 ohms while the 5' speaker's is about 240 ohms. Looking at the tube data sheet for the output tube (a single 6v6GT), it looks like I could get a newer 4 ohm PM speaker and run it through the larger output transformer, or would an 8 ohm speaker work? Assuming the plate voltage is not over 250v. One of the problems with the smaller speaker is an old cone repair that has more repair paper visible than original cone (it looks like coffee filter paper) and shiny glue all over.
I guess I COULD try to recone the smaller one with one of these? Cut it all away except for a half inch or so around the spider and use diluted fabric glue to attach the new cone? I've never done it before, but it might work.

http://www.electronix.com/advanced_searc...ne&x=0&y=0

Charlie in San Antonio

Messages In This Thread
RE: Turning a Crosley 66CS into a 66TC - by ccomer1955 - 08-10-2015, 04:38 PM