Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Great Crosley WLW Radio

I bought it at an Estes auction over a year ago. I remember the seller being very disappointed with the price it brought but his wife insisted he sell it. I had to cash a lot of my bonds to get it and then had to pay thousands to have it BEAUTIFULLY RESTORED. IT was hand delivered to me and took four people to bring it in as it weighed so much. Thank goodness it was on four wheels. It sat a full year and now it's restored and ready to be enjoyed. 

The other infer on this set is very interesting and a good history lesson. Crosely made it strictly to compete with the Zenith Stratosphere. But the Strat was only half the price. Despite that only 50 exist today. But as I said in my article the WLW runs circles around it sound wise. Too bad there aren't more out there. But of course you need a lot of room to set one in a room. It stands taller than the average man. And if you stretch you arms out all the way you have an idea of the width. The two doors on each side open. The left contains three levels of tone controls and the one on the right has a built in microphone to sing along with and it's own volume control. It contains four chrome chassis. One very heavy amp chassis, a heavy power supply chassis, a heavy radio chassis, and a small chassis to control lights and other items. The wood knobs are very attractive and the speaker grille is unique with its wrap around design that spreads the sound in all directions. This is especially effective for the three tweeters. There  are two twelve inch woofer/midrange speakers, and one huge eighteen inch sub woofer that hangs upside down. And there are myriads of cables that connect all the chassis and speakers together. It also has its own AC power strip built in. Hope all that paints a fuller picture  of this set!

Messages In This Thread
The Great Crosley WLW Radio - by Sam samuelian - 08-17-2015, 11:55 PM
RE: The Great Crosley WLW Radio - by Jayce - 08-18-2015, 12:32 AM
RE: The Great Crosley WLW Radio - by Ron Ramirez - 08-18-2015, 05:17 AM
RE: The Great Crosley WLW Radio - by Jayce - 08-18-2015, 11:42 AM
RE: The Great Crosley WLW Radio - by KCMike - 08-18-2015, 02:45 PM
RE: The Great Crosley WLW Radio - by tab10672 - 08-18-2015, 05:27 PM
RE: The Great Crosley WLW Radio - by Sam samuelian - 08-19-2015, 12:13 AM
RE: The Great Crosley WLW Radio - by chucka - 08-19-2015, 03:41 PM
RE: The Great Crosley WLW Radio - by PhilcoJohn - 08-20-2015, 05:28 PM
RE: The Great Crosley WLW Radio - by TA Forbes - 08-22-2015, 08:36 AM
RE: The Great Crosley WLW Radio - by Fred Taylor - 08-22-2015, 06:56 PM