Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Museum Quality Philco Console 37-690 Radio

This is not meant to be an ad but an exposition of my set. This set has an original finish that is amazing and shiny and has never been touched, which is why I say it is museum quality. The grille cloth is perfect and all the wood is. All dials operate properly and smoothly.The factory shine is fully intact. The electronics were completely rebuilt to a high standard about five years ago. It sounds amazing with it's huge 18 inch woofer, two real tweeters and four acoustic clarifiers. Any defective or weak tubes were replaced as well as full recapping and resistor replacement as well. I would say there is not a finer example out there. I am always amazed at the great sound this puts out. as it should being Philco's finest moment in the console radio market in 1937. Some people prefer the style of the similar radio made a year later (the 38-690), which is electronically much the same but completely different in style with its more traditional console shape and the stand out roll top desk door that covers the top area. 

I am curious what people think here of the current value. I paid very high at 4,000.00 and would like to get my money back since we are in great financial need still-- even after some very good radio sales. Being one of my favorites I hate making this move but must. I hesitate putting it on ebay after the disaster I had with my Stratosphere. 

Any sound advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sam

Messages In This Thread
My Museum Quality Philco Console 37-690 Radio - by Sam samuelian - 08-19-2015, 12:28 AM