Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 20 Grand Cathedral

Just completed restoring a beautifully preserved Model 20 Grand Cathedral radio (late model with maple trim).  The radio seems to work fine, absolutely no hum and plenty of volume, however, the sound is not real clear as I would expect.  It is kind of garbled, especially listening to music.  Talk shows are a little better with less garble.  I spent a lot of money replacing tubes, thinking maybe a gassy tube, to no avail.  Before I started restoring the radio, I installed new electrolytics, tested tubes and did a visual.  I fired it up (I bought it as a working radio). It had the same garble sound before I replaced all capacitors, resistors and rebuilt the Filter Condenser Bank.   I have restored many radios, but this is my 2nd from the early 1930's.  My first restoration was a model 81.  The sound is excellent on that one. On the model 20, I also temporarily connected another speaker to the lugs on the existing speaker.  It sounded the same. 

My question for anyone, since this 1930 radio is basically the beginning of great things to come, is my problem normal for this model radio? 

By the way, thanks to those in the Phorum for providing excellent tips some of which I used to rebuild this model 20.

Thanks in advance. 

Messages In This Thread
Philco Model 20 Grand Cathedral - by Jay Thomas - 09-19-2015, 06:01 PM
RE: Philco Model 20 Grand Cathedral - by Mondial - 09-19-2015, 07:44 PM
RE: Philco Model 20 Grand Cathedral - by morzh - 09-19-2015, 11:07 PM
RE: Philco Model 20 Grand Cathedral - by Arran - 09-19-2015, 11:25 PM
RE: Philco Model 20 Grand Cathedral - by morzh - 09-20-2015, 07:58 PM