Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NEW Question: 38 116 dial mechanism and dial scale alignment

(11-26-2015, 08:01 AM)SteveJB Wrote:  I have a new question. 

When I touch the automatic tuning handle slightly the radio mutes as it should but when I let go it stays mute unless I toggle it a few times. I believe the order in which I put it together is proper.  This hasn't been a problem on my other automatic tuning sets so I believe it is not working right.

Does anyone have an idea what may be wrong? I am referring to the bulletin and it really doesn't have an order listed in the diagrams. 

I have her playing great except for this minor issue. 

Happy Thanksgiving,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I just finished refurbishing my automatic tuning dial on the 38-690 here. It is the spring tension of the moveable audio shorting switch (item #61 in the automatic tuning bulletin) that causes the control handle to pop back out when pushed inward. When working properly, the control handle should pop back out, even when pushed only slightly inward.

It seems likely to me that your problem might be caused either by lack of proper tension of the moveable audio switch contact or possibly by incorrect assembly of the moveable audio switch contact. Note that when the tension of this switch is proper, it is necessary to push down slighty on the contact end of the moveable audio switch with a small screwdriver while inserting it into the slot on the handle hub as the handle hub is pushed onto the shaft.

I hope this helps.

Ed