Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Better reception on one radio, when plugging in another? What the???

I have successfully restored two 53-1750 Philco radio phonographs.  On Sunday  nights in South Florida, of all things, there is 1950's DooWop show on AM Radio 850  WFTL (Miami) from 6-9 PM, so I listen to it on the Philco - how cool is that !!
Tonight however, i was getting poor reception, maybe due to heavy overcast weather -   and alot of buzzing on this 850 AM channel, while other strong local channels there was no buzzing.   So, I figured I'd plug in the other Philco (same electric circuit) -  as i leave them unplugged when not in use- and turn on the other one, to see if it was that particular radio buzzing or perhaps just a weak radio station signal tonight.   To my amazement, when I plugged in the other unit, even before I switched it on, the first radio, all of sudden picked up the station MUCH better, with almost no buzzing and when i turned on the other radio, was even better.   WTF???   I unplugged the second radio and the first one went back to a weak signal and buzzing.  Not sure exactly what's going on, very weird.  Any thoughts?