Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 87 chassis operational????

Hi. New to the group and vacuum tube radios as a whole so please help me with each of my questions.
Recently purchased a 87 Highboy Deluxe in pretty decent shape and want to make it sound good. Being a newbie i plugged it in and started messing around with the knobs not knowing what i was doing. I luckily was able to pull in a station though hum and loud buzz/static dominated.

I've since replaced all the steady state caps with 630v film types hoping to get better results. I reinstalled all the tubes to then find out that if one replaces (or i assume swaps) one of the 26 tubes a new alignment is in order.

Currently it still hums (not too bad) but loud buzz/static is very prevalent and now i'm up to two stations barely. So here are my questions:
1. I'm getting 42 volt AC with a multimeter measuring from the chassis to electrical outlet ground with just the plug in the wall - is this expected? It turns to 65volts AC when powered up. Of course if i run a wire from the chassis ground connector to the outlet ground it goes to 0 volts but my reception also disappears.
1b. How is one really/typically supposed to "ground" the chassis?
2. I'm also getting 120volts AC at the LOC terminal? Is this expected? If not - why? If so, what's the point?
3. not knowing if i got the 26 tubes back in their original position is an alignment and neutralization in order?
3b. Alignment procedure requires a 1300kHz source - function generator work? Set to how many volts output?
3c. Use an "output indicator across the speaker terminal" does this mean a volt meter?
That's all my current questions. Please help and provide suggestions...
THANKS!

Messages In This Thread
philco 87 chassis operational???? - by alwayslearning - 06-07-2016, 09:36 PM
RE: philco 87 chassis operational???? - by morzh - 06-08-2016, 07:38 AM
RE: philco 87 chassis operational???? - by Arran - 06-11-2016, 04:04 AM
RE: philco 87 chassis operational???? - by morzh - 06-08-2016, 01:47 PM
RE: philco 87 chassis operational???? - by morzh - 06-11-2016, 11:10 AM