Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

power supply to convert from 32 volt DC

I have to stay away from the local auction house. Tonight I picked up a nice 1934 Coronado small console radio. It was too good to pass up at $40 with its art deco look. Well, I found out it's a series 6B, made by Wells-Gardner and was a farm radio....equipped to operate at 32 volts DC. It uses a vibrator like a car radio to supply the B+ (housed in a large metal cylinder). Here's a link to the schematic:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...023537.pdf

My question is, has anyone had experience with these farm sets and if so what did you do to convert it for use with 120 volt house current? Is there a power supply available that can be utilized? I have the ARBE I use on my AK battery sets but would like to find something I could mount in the cabinet so it can stay with the radio. From what I've read a lot of these sets were destroyed by people simply plugging them into a wall socket to try them out, not knowing that just because it has a line cord and plug, it's not designed for 120 volts! I'd like to eliminate the vibrator if possible, as I doubt it's any good and to try to find a vibrator with a 32 volt input (it's a Radiart Vibrator Type 3395 if anyone has one laying around) is proving to be next to impossible.

I'm treading in new territory here so I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Messages In This Thread
power supply to convert from 32 volt DC - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 08-05-2016, 01:02 AM