Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Reneamed: Winter Electronic restorations

So I have been so busy with life that I have not touched a radio chassis in months...

This week I had free time and a few radios I wanted to display in the house.... I finished 3 radios this week!!!

The first is a real neat but cheapo GE 682 clock radio that splits into a separate clock and a portable radio run on batteries! I redid the 4 tube chassis just fine but I screwed up the Selenium rectifier replacements  Icon_redface
After 2 hours on the phone with Terry, It came to life and it is actually really sensitive ... It had 2 800uF ecaps in it!!
Plus 3 others.. 5 Ecaps in one little radio... I got burned twice but no shocks  Icon_thumbdown  Icon_thumbup

The second radio I got off eBay recently for a steal... I love hidden compartment items and this Sentinel 238-V is a stack of books on the outside! IT was sold untested because it uses a cheater cord and he did not have it. I recapped it, changed 2 resistors, and it came to life... The cabinet is in real nice condition so I only wiped off the crud with GoJo...
 No burns or shocks  Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

The last one I just finished tonight.. This was from our trip to Skips friends house. I bought 2 Emerson BF-207's in extremely gross but undamaged cabinets... I took the first cabinet and scrubbed it to death to get all the sticky out of the grooves and then waxed it. I recapped the chassis all by myself and it works pretty nice. I got a little stuck with the Ecap cans pos and neg but figured it out by actually understanding that they were chassis ground... I also has some micamold paper caps and found a website to read them.. There is so much interference in my shop and house that I have to use an extension cord and test it in the yard...  Icon_crazy
No shocks or burns  Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Messages In This Thread
Reneamed: Winter Electronic restorations - by OldRestorer - 12-17-2016, 07:12 PM