Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pros and Cons of Refinishing the 511 Series cabinets

A recent discussion with my friend, Michael Prosise, has prompted me to offer this topic of discussion to those of you Phellow Phorum members. Icon_smile

As you may (or may not) know, four of the Philco 511 Series metal table models - specifically, Model 512 (Mandarin Red), 513 (Labrador Gray), 514 (Nile Green) and 515 (Impressionistic - gold with lotus leaves) - feature hand-painted decorations, making no two cabinets exactly alike.

I'd like to know your thoughts on refinishing these four cabinets specifically. To be more specific - To refinish or not to refinish? Should these cabinets be left alone, considered individual works of art, or should they be refinished if they need it? If refinished, should they be marked as such? And how do you feel about taking a 511 and turning it into a "faux" 512, 513, 514 or 515?

Of the four, the 515 Impressionistic is the rarest of the bunch. I own a "faux" 515 which was originally a 511.

Original factory illustrations of these sets may be viewed here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1928.htm

Comments welcome...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Pros and Cons of Refinishing the 511 Series cabinets - by Ron Ramirez - 04-24-2009, 02:05 PM