Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pros and Cons of Refinishing the 511 Series cabinets

I think there is a middle ground here. Selective refinishing to preserve what is left is a good thing. Museums even do it to a degree. A little touch up and replacement of missing or grossly deformed or rotting pieces can turn a pile of junk into something that "Your Old Lady" would allow above the basement level of your home.

I've not seen these exotic specimens, but if I had one, and there was some pretty cool hand drawn artwork there, I have access to an artist who could touch up the details and restore the original character to museum standards. Luckily she is my Lady Friend.

I have a couple of wrecks in my shop which were borderline junkers, but now are becoming more than presentable. 100% original, no. Functional, yes. If I sell them, I will definitely glue a restoration notice on the inside of the cabinets stating what I did and when I did it. We all take poetic license with the electronic side of things, why do we obcess so with the cabinet and knobs?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pros and Cons of Refinishing the 511 Series cabinets - by codefox1 - 04-24-2009, 05:25 PM