Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pros and Cons of Refinishing the 511 Series cabinets

Jim Berg Wrote:I am not sure what prices these set bring, but to have an artist duplicate the work on the set would not be cheap. I would be more inclined to clean it up and maybe have some touch up done.

As Ron has pointed out before, when it comes to value/price, it often boils down to how badly the potential buyer wants it. Of course there's always a "ball-park" range. Interesting to note is that the model 511 "Spanish Brown", a two-tone blend of shades of brown, has for the past 25 years remained around $100-$125, and that's with or without the matching speaker! Why this is one can only speculate. If the seller takes the time to properly clean both the chassis and cabinet, and throw a nice coat of automotive polish on the cabinet, this baby really shines. I'd speculate an appropiate selling price of $175 to $200, especially if the scratches and dings are at a minimum.

The other sets in the series go for substantially more, assuming they're cleaned/polished, include the matching speaker, the hand-painting is original and in at least fair condition. Now some folks might look down on me for stating prices, but since I have purchased and own so many of these sets I probably am the most qualified in this regard. (The important caveat here is that at an auction the price paid means very little if two bidders are desperate for the radio.) With all the former in mind, and consideration of the average price I paid (some 15 to 20 years ago!), the "Labrador Gray" should fetch $250-$300, the "Nile Green" $375-$425, the rarer "Mandarin Red" at least $500 or more, and the rarest (only one known to exist), "Impressionistic", well I can't put a price on that. I was extremely lucky to locate it after an intensive three year nationwide search about 18 years ago. Like me the seller had no idea of its value, so we traded. It was a heck of a trade too! I even through in a "new-in-box" Nile Green speaker! That hurt.

Happy hunting!

"Ice cream has no bones"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pros and Cons of Refinishing the 511 Series cabinets - by Philco1928 - 05-04-2009, 10:53 AM