Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pros and Cons of Refinishing the 511 Series cabinets

DeckApe Wrote:If it needs refinishing because it's not worth preserving, then so be it. But I think changing the color is cheating somehow.

If you don't mind, I'm going to correct my earlier statement, regarding these hand-painted sets as to condition. I said they might be so beat up "they may not be worth displaying". Well I take that back. They are becoming so rare I don't think it matters much if they're beat up. I say display it; "look what I got". For one thing, preservation of any unique radio artwork, regardless of condition is vital.

I agree with your statement 100% that "changing the color is cheating somehow". The finish is fake, is it not? Icon_confused:

There happens to be a rather well-respected member of the radio collecting community who is taking model 511's and stripping them to bare metal. He then reproduces any of the other sets in the hand-painted series on this bare cabinet. I am not aware that they are being represented as the real thing nor do I suspect he has any intention of doing so. The cost is beyond the means of the average collector. The "touch-up" of an existing model was quoted at $1300. ( Icon_exclaim ) Can you even guess what it would cost to completly replicate one of these sets from bare metal? I can't imagine.

As to a brass plate, as you suggested, saying "Finish/Design Reproduced by . . . . ", or engraving the same inside the cabinet, would seem to be a given. But the suggestion of this to the gentleman was met with disdain and a "how dare you!" response. Icon_mad

I am not opposed to touch-up work on these unique sets, but do feel it should be limited to major areas of damage. A full touch-up, and I have seen one, makes the set look new, perfect, and in becoming so loses the original hand-painted artwork of the young lady who originally painted that cabinet back in 1928. You can only "touch-up" one of these sets to a certain degree, otherwise you stand to lessen its historic and financial value. After all, it is someone else's work of art, not your own.

Where do we draw the line??? Icon_confused:

"Ice cream has no bones"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pros and Cons of Refinishing the 511 Series cabinets - by Philco1928 - 05-04-2009, 11:58 AM