Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Question on my Philco 41-295 lamp

>no sure if it needed a polarized one or not.

Nah. Typically you might use one if the set didn't use a power transformer. In a transformer-less set one side of the ac line is connected to the chassis, either directly or thru a cap. In this situation you want to have the neutral side on the line connected to "chassis". This helps with preventing a shock hazard. Having a polarize plug assures that the neutral is where it should be as long as the cord and outlet are wired properly.
On a set W/a power transformer at the primary most will have a pair of caps forming a capacitive divider (in your set #85) connected to the chassis that provides a rf gnd thru the neutral side of the line for the chassis. When you connect an earth ground to the chassis you'll notice some sparking while making this connection. This is from a small amount of ac leakage thru the cap that is connected to the hot side of the line. This is normal the voltage is low as is the current. It doesn't matter which way is't plugged in there is always a cap connecting the neutual side to the chassis to provide a ground and the hot side to help filter rf noise.  

>seems to have 5 position instead of 4. Not sure whats up with that.

The lowest position engages the push button tuning so it normally has 5 positions. Hope you sleep better tonight not having think about that the heck is up w/that stupid bs!

> Started working on Tube tv's after I got out of the service.

Oh good the next time I have a question abt my 6SN7's or 6BG6's I'll look you up!!  [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_lol.gif]

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Messages In This Thread
Question on my Philco 41-295 lamp - by nortonz - 05-15-2018, 02:32 PM
RE: Question on my Philco 41-295 lamp - by Radioroslyn - 06-11-2018, 02:27 PM
RE: Question on my Philco 41-295 lamp - by Arran - 06-12-2018, 01:45 AM
RE: Question on my Philco 41-295 lamp - by Arran - 06-12-2018, 11:31 PM
RE: Question on my Philco 41-295 lamp - by Arran - 06-14-2018, 02:15 AM