Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

my 37-630 restoration

I finished the actual chassis work on this radio early in the summer, but them took a break from it. All that was left was re-installing the tubes and alignment. I picked it up again about three weeks ago. Then I discovered that my frequency counter and my signal generator, both modern, made in China, were not working! Something must have happened to them in the move from RI to TN. I looked on sBay and found an old Heathkit signal generator, and ordered it. I am using a really nice digital readout shortwave radio to check its frequency output against. When it arrived, the very first thing I did was replace the power supply filter caps. It works very well, and its output is right on with the dial scale. I use the modern radio to make sure I am right on frequency. To set the IF, 470 KC, I tuned the radio to 940KC on the AM band, and then set the output of the signal generator to give me the maximum output there, I used the harmonic of the 470 output to double check it, in other words. After that, I could use the actual frequencies to check the output was right on. I have finally gotten the radio all working. The shadow meter does not deflect much though. I have tried everything. I used the shadow meter setup described on this site. I get deflection of the vane inside, it's not stuck. I can see the shadow move a lot when the set goes from off and warms up, but it only moves a tiny bit when tuning. The resistance on it is about 1500 ohms. I'm not going to worry much about it though, since other than that the set is working pretty well.

Messages In This Thread
RE: my 37-630 restoration - by klondike98 - 06-03-2018, 03:25 PM
RE: my 37-630 restoration - by mikethedruid - 06-12-2018, 09:31 AM
RE: my 37-630 restoration - by mikethedruid - 09-22-2018, 07:07 PM
my 37-630 restoration - by mikethedruid - 06-03-2018, 10:47 AM