Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

*Solved Minerva Tropic Master model w117 "early"-crackle pop & no vol ****SOLVED

I personally would not use the disc caps in a 1940s vintage radio, even if I was not planning on restuffing the original caps I prefer using the yellow axial lead ones, or orange and brown drops with radial leads (which are also film caps), discs just don't look right. Electrically I don't know if there is a difference in most cases, but disc caps drift in value with heat, and they do not like high frequency pulses such as the vertical circuits in a TV, and some claim that they don't sound as good in audio circuits but I've never been able to confirm that. Since the Tropic Master probably needs new resistors I would get some new film capacitors with them. One more thing, please don't pig tail new components onto old leads, it's just not a good practice, with that you are relying on 70+ year old solder joints at either end, and a new joint on well oxidized old wires, this is how freshly "recapped" sets suddenly quit playing or end up with weird faults.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
RE: Minerva Tropic Master model w117 "EARLY" - by Arran - 06-08-2018, 01:14 AM