Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 7G605 Transoceanic - the Clipper

Well, the moment of truth. I think I bought this radio over 3 years ago....if not 4.
After having the Tropic restored with all that bunch of SW bands I decided it's time for the Clipper to get fixed up.

I know of some pitfalls, but upon opening it I realized I will have to be careful and learn some things from people with experience of having done it.

1. The asbestos-covered shelf.
The asbestos was there for a reason, I think - something probably heats up enough to warrant some sort of protection as the shelf is wood.
I also am not paranoid about asbestos, considering most of us grew up around it; "don't disturb the crap and it won't stink" is the principle. Plus it is not like it is uranium, cyanide or ricin there, one just has to be careful enough, and I'd like to keep it as authentic as I possibly can.
So: is there a way of stabilizing the asbestos during the assembly/disassembly (spray that is not heat-degradable)?
If some of it got baked on the chassis' rim, what's the best way of cleaning it off? I am not a big fan of wearing masks and respirators.

2. What is the procedure of removing the chassis without damaging the attached parts: some of those do not look too sturdily attached to anything and bend and flex.

So far those are the Qs, electrically I think I can manage myself and if I need help in getting to the silver micas etc I will ask.

So, if anyone has very specific experience with this very radio, please share your experience here with me.

Mike.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Messages In This Thread
Zenith 7G605 Transoceanic - the Clipper - by morzh - 07-02-2018, 07:48 AM