Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Low volume on Belmont Model 6D111

Hello, Mama, It's Georgie. Your son, from the money every week. I can hardly hear you! Is Terry available?

Working on a Belmont 'bullet' model 6D111 series A

Here's a link to the Nostalgia Air version of the schematic, so it can be opened as a PDF and enlarged:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...002220.pdf

Despite a complete recap...micas included, all new resistors, new 1 meg volume control / switch, and trying two sets of all new tubes, the set only plays at barely above a whisper with the volume all the way up. Tracing through the schematic didn't offer any glaring errors. Everything checked out to be where it should be.

Tonight I got out the signal generator and injected an audio output signal to see where I'm losing volume. Here's what I found:

1) Audio signal at CT of volume control loud and controllable (but NOT if you just touch it with a screwdriver) without the use of the SG)

2) Audio signal to Pin 2 (Grid) of the 12SQ7 is loud

3) Audio signal to Pin 6 (Plate) of the 12SQ7 is LOW

4) Audio signal to Pin 5 (Grid) of the 35L6 is LOW

5) Audio signal to Pin 3 (Plate) of the 35L6 is DEAD (no noise)

Checking voltages (All to B -, as per schematic):

Pin 3 (Plate) of the 35L6 is 107 VDC (should be 90)

Pin 4 (Grid) of the 35L6 is 91 VDC (should be 70)

Pin 8 (Cathode) of the 35L6 is 4.7 VDC (should be 4.3)

Pin 8 (Cathode) of the 35Z5 is 126 VDC (should be 112)

Pin 5 (Plate) of the 35Z5 is 116 VAC (should be 110)

Pin 6 of the 12SQ7 (Plate) is 58 VDC (should be 40)

Pin 2 (Grid) of 12SQ7 is - .6 VDC (should be 0)

It seems the problem is in the audio output section somewhere, but I have not found a smoking gun. Do you have any thoughts on where to look, Terry?

It doesn't appear the output transformer is open (I get around .4 ohms on the secondary and around 200 ohms on the primary). The set receives stations across the dial but most are barely audible save for the strong local station which can be heard at with the volume pot turned 3/4 open.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Messages In This Thread
Low volume on Belmont Model 6D111 - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 10-07-2018, 09:33 PM