Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Transitone PT-6 Chassis restoration

First time poster. Recently decided to try and restore a radio I picked up a couple of years ago. Has been a nice bookcase antique.

I dabbled in ham radios back in my youth and grew up around people repairing tv's so I have a basic understanding of tubes, electronics, theory, and wiring. However it's been 30+ years since I tapped into the knowledge.

Did a good amount of research the past few days on this radio and the chassis. That led me to this site which has given me even more info on the effort needed. I have zero equipment to test any electrical components.

Without posting a bunch of pics, here is what I know:

Does turn on but there is a little play in the control/dial before it clicks on
Produces scratching sound when turning up the volume
Tubes are very faint after an hour of power. No color changes
Frequency dial seems good but no transmission locked in

I gently took out the 5 tubes (without removing the chassis) to look for indentifing marks as well as damage. Saw no physical damage (cracks) but I did notice that the 7B7 tube was a bit oxidized where it connects to the chassis. As well, 2 of the tubes are missing pins but I'm guessing that is by design.

What I need help on:
Getting the chassis out without damaging the housing to further look into things
Pointing me in the right direction for things read up on Icon_smile

If anyone is interested in this please let me know. I'm happy to post pics if I am in the right place.

John

Messages In This Thread
Philco Transitone PT-6 Chassis restoration - by dataisbeautiful - 12-30-2018, 02:49 AM