Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-7 dial switch stuck & possible bad field coil

I picked up a 38-7 table radio, and got around to taking a look at it while I take a break from another project.  I found a couple things I didn't know what to make of so I thought here would be a good place to ask, though I haven't been on here in a long time.  

When I bought the radio, I was told it 'lit up but made no sound'.  The first thing I noticed was that the switch (really a knob with pull/push switch in it) on the cone-centric dial seems stuck in the 'out' position, which I believe mutes the sound.  I've sprayed it with contact cleaner, penetrating oil, etc - and it just doesn't want to un-freeze.  Any thoughts on how to free it up?

The field coil measures somewhere between 800k and 1.2meg.  The schematic states it's an 1140ohm coil.  What's going on?  Wouldn't it measure open, if it were open?  Also, the primary of the output transformer measures open.  I guess either way I will need to find a speaker and output transformer if I want to get this working.

The radio had a 6K6 in it instead of a 6F6, and I don't believe that's an acceptable substitute - would that have destroyed the field coil or output transformer?  Or would a shorted wax cap have done it?

Messages In This Thread