Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoration of Philco 42-360

I am finishing up the restoration of a Philco 42-360.  I have replaced all of the paper caps and electrolytic caps, out of spec resistors and a couple of bad tubes. 

I have aligned it and is working nicely... well most of the time.   The oscillator tube is an XXL loctal tube and I have to wiggle it just so to get it to oscillate.    I have cleaned and deoxed the contacts and socket and tried 3 different tubes.  The result is the same.  Once I wiggle the tube or remove and reinsert it it works fine until I turn off the radio off and let it cool and turn it back on. 

That is one problem --- the other is with the volume control part 39 on the schematic.  It is a 0.5 meg ohm pot.  The volume increases as expected until it is about 3/4 clockwise.  At that point the volume drops off.  I have cleaned the the pot with deoxit.  I am wondering if it is the pot or perhaps something wrong with the AVC circuit.

I tried replacing the pot with a 0.8 megohm pot that I had on hand.  It did not work so well -- perhaps the taper was not correct.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

John w.

Messages In This Thread
Restoration of Philco 42-360 - by Gasman - 07-31-2019, 12:40 PM
RE: Restoration of Philco 42-360 - by Chas - 07-31-2019, 11:59 PM
RE: Restoration of Philco 42-360 - by Gasman - 08-01-2019, 10:39 AM