Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dog Bone Recreation and Electrolytic Restuffing

Hello,

I've been experimenting with molding dog bone resistors and restuffing electrolytics. I have a 37-116, a 37-690 and a 16b I'd like to do this for. These are for a chassis from that other company.

This is why it takes me so long to do things...

Dog bones:
I molded them with urethane resin in silicone modes created from the originals.
I seem to end up with a tiny bubble or two. Those I fill in with resin "dust" and super glue. Can't tell after painting.
For the larger ones I created leads with bus wire of the same gauge as the originals' leads.
I painted them with Testor's. Is there something thinner? I suppose I could try thinning the Testor's. I tried acrylic paint and didn't like it.
The black one is unpainted.

Electrolytics:
The goal here was to be able to use the body as the negative terminal as originally done. The problem was soldering to aluminum.
I did find some aluminum solder (I think the flux is the magic element) that works.
I solder the negative wire to the inside of the can.
I used a brass rod and created a new terminal from a brass tube, attached a wire and used that as the positive terminal. I used the original plastic "insulator" epoxied into place to pass the rod through.
I'll use caulk to glue the tops back onto the cans (cut off where they were crimped in place).

Does anything look odd about these, except possible the thick paint on the resistors?

Thanks,
Greg

Attached Files Image(s)

Can't think of anything witty.
Greg O.
Whitehall, PA

Messages In This Thread
Dog Bone Recreation and Electrolytic Restuffing - by Greg - 10-06-2019, 07:06 PM