Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

16B Cathedral Braided Ground Help

Hello all, special thanks to Ron for getting my Phorum credentials back in order.

Quick synopsis: I've owned my 16B 5-band Cathedral since 1970s.
May 2010 finally re-capped everything... except Tone Control. 
I remember that I could not find the schematic for the tone control system I have, which is 2 caps inside the control cavity
and an additional bakelite with caps.  So, I only recapped the bakelite.
Over the years the tone control really was only offering a really bass or really treble sound.
So it was time to finish the job I should have completed ten years ago. This time I found the correct schematic and got to work.

Last week I pulled the control which has two caps in a metal cavity and replaced them.
All seemed well until I got everything back together and noticed I didn't have as much tuner sensitivity as I did before the cap work.
I was playing the radio a couple times over the past week but knew it just wasn't right.
At some point I noticed when I touched my external antenna it made no difference to the reception, and it's never done that before.

So this morning I lugged it over to a work table and dissassembled again.
What I found is that front Tuner Cap braided ground strap became disconnected... from somewhere! 
This is the grounded braid nearest the front of the chassis.... right near that darn tone control. 
My guess is that when I removed the tone control or when I reinstalled it, I must have distrubed that braided ground.
It still has it's glob of solder attached to the end.

I have checked around the Phorum for any chassis pics that may have been posted with the detail I need to re-attach.
Unfortunately I couldn't find any that might help.
And my own pics that I took before disassebly also do not show where the strap was soldered to a ground point.

Can anyone offer any advice, or old pics you may have taken showing how and where this front braid ground is soldered back on?

If not, any other suggestions on how or where to reattach it to anything that would not adversely affect the tuner signal levels?

Thanks so much in advance for all the help past and present.

Messages In This Thread
16B Cathedral Braided Ground Help - by Rod Wolfe - 10-21-2019, 08:50 AM
RE: 16B Cathedral Braided Ground Help - by KCMike - 10-21-2019, 11:15 AM
RE: 16B Cathedral Braided Ground Help - by morzh - 10-23-2019, 06:39 AM