Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 41-296X with 41-285 modified chassis

jjbuzard Wrote:Icon_idea To simplify the replacement process while I have one end of a wire undone that shares a terminal with a capacitor, I pull the wire out of the chassis, leaving the other end attached, straighten the wire out and gently twist the rubber insulation, if it doesn't fall apart, I continue to twist and gently pull until the rubber insulation starts to pull off the wire, then I pull the rubber insulation all the way off, then I slip a new piece of wire insulation from an OLD underground phone cable (about 18 gage wire) that I have laying around (all colors available) I have had this since I was 10 years old (it finally came in handy) To get the vinyl insulation off the original wire, I soak it in very hot water, it slips off easily after expanding, and then I slip it on the wire in the chassis, I then reroute the wire and resolder the loose end along with the capacitor. Do you foresee any thing wrong with this method Icon_confused:

It sounds like you are doing very well with your repair. Yes, it is a very good idea to only replace one capacitor at a time; that reduces the chances of miswiring a component.

You are doing basically what I do with these 1939-1942 Philcos. The only difference is, I use new 3/16" heat shrink tubing which is available in several colors. I remove one end of the old wire, remove the old, crumbling rubber insulation, then cut a new piece of heat shrink tubing to fit which I then go ahead and use heat on to shrink before installing. Slip it on over the wire, then reconnect the loose end of the wire. The end result looks just like the old rubber insulation, only it's new. Icon_biggrin

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philco Model 41-296X with 41-285 modified chassis - by Ron Ramirez - 12-08-2009, 07:58 AM