Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

All wave and High efficiency antennas

Hi Folks,

Thought I would ask here. I am putting together some information for another publication, The Lowdown which is the journal of the Long Wave Club of America. There has been discussion of low noise antennas, the history of which traces back to the 1930s and the emergence of short wave receivers. Interested by this I have been trawling American Radio History, and patent sites to glean more about the beginnings of the technique. This quickly brought up a Philco angle, in the form of the "All Wave" and "High Efficiency" antennas.

If anyone here knows more about these, and when they were marketed, I would be very interested to learn more. They seem to fit the low noise/anti interference description, having coupling transformers at the antenna and receiver, and a balanced shielded twin line feeder. I nearly bought one on ebay a couple of weeks ago, but it went for more than I was willing to pay for such a collectors item.

30's publications show references to several similar systems by Kolster Brandes, CorWiCo, Belling and Lee (UK) and a few others. To me it is an interesting, and still relevant subject - modern or antique receivers can still benefit from very similar configurations.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Messages In This Thread
All wave and High efficiency antennas - by EdHolland - 03-23-2020, 01:42 PM