Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-5 poor signal to noise ratio

I get more noise than signal on my grandparent’s Philco 38-5 (code 121), where do I look to resolve that?

I recently replaced the AC power cord and fired the radio up for the first time in a few years. I live in a poor reception area, hills all around, though I can pull in a couple of AM stations and SW band broadcasts. But I get more noise than signal. I’m using an ~15 foot wire as an antenna, the radio is louder with the wire connected, but the ratio of signal to noise seems to be the same with or without the antenna.

I’m moderately experienced repairing & restoring vintage guitar and bass amplifiers, this is my first try on a radio. I thought maybe I need to replace the main filter caps, though I don’t know if the signal to noise is merely my reception, or in the amplification, or…? The radio is quiet at idle with volume turned down, NOT like the 1939 Gibson EH 185 amplifier I’m working on that needs new electrolytic caps - it has a loud nasty buzz even with volume at zero, though I can faintly hear the signal come through the buzz when I turn the volume way up.

I’d greatly appreciate suggestions and troubleshooting methodology on resolving this issue. My grandfather held this radio on his lap riding home on the streetcar from Dayton’s department store in downtown Minneapolis. My mother grew up with this radio, I’d like to play it for her again with a reasonably clean signal while I still can.

Thank YOU!
Root

Messages In This Thread
38-5 poor signal to noise ratio - by Rootboy - 04-12-2020, 10:14 PM
RE: 38-5 poor signal to noise ratio - by RodB - 04-13-2020, 09:55 AM
RE: 38-5 poor signal to noise ratio - by morzh - 04-13-2020, 10:08 AM
RE: 38-5 poor signal to noise ratio - by Rootboy - 04-13-2020, 06:15 PM