Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Heath-Zenith (Heathkit) Frequency Counter Model SM-2420

Hello everyone, the other day I bought on fleabay a Heath-Zenith (Heathkit after Zenith Electronics Corporation of Chicago bought out Heathkit in the early 1980s) Frequency Counter Model SM-2420 that I tried out with my Heathkit signal Generator but it doesn't seem to be working, although I'm not sure if I'm using it right or if I even have the right cables for it. 

I bought from Ace Hardware a 75 0hm rated BNC to BNC cable to go between the signal generator and the frequency counter (the frequency counter has the 2 input jacks listed at 50 Ohms and 1M Ohm (1 Meg Ohm?) and I tried hooking to the 50 Ohm connection and it doesn't read anything on the counter display (well it does but not what the signal is set to), and then I tried the jack marked 1M Ohm and that one doesn't seem to do anything either, so I don't know if its the cable I'm using (wrong resistence of cable) or if this frequency counter is malfunctioning.

One thing is that I finished wiring up the modification that was suggested to me on here by 462ron for my Heathkit SG-8 but I'm not sure if I have it done correctly or not (I posted about it complete with pictures of the completed work in the thread I posted about my Heathkit signal generator), and if it wasn't done rignt maybe that's why my frequency counter isn't responding? 

Also I've never seen a 1 Meg Ohm rated coaxial (BNC) Cable before so how on earth would that work for the input that's marked 1M Ohm?

Also does it matter if I use a 50 Ohm or a 75 Ohm BNC Interconnect cables for going between the Signal Generator and the Frequency Counter?

Any help with this would be appreciated, as this is the first time I've used this kind of equipment.

Messages In This Thread
Heath-Zenith (Heathkit) Frequency Counter Model SM-2420 - by captainclock1988 - 05-04-2020, 05:42 PM