Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

1927 Eveready (National Carbon) Model 1 TRF Radio

@Radioroslyn:
Well the problem is that the radio used electrolytics to begin with, because there is a definite positive and negative side to the original filter caps and film caps are non-polar and using a non-polar cap in place of a polarized cap can cause some problems.

Especially if you don't get the "inside foil" connected to the ground point, which on the old style paper caps wouldn't of been a problem as they marked the "inside foil" on the older caps but the new caps they don't so you have to figure out which side is the "inside foil" by using a device similar to the one that is used by Mr. Carlson's Lab where it tells you the foil side of the capacitor through an audible RF signal. 

@Rodb: 
One thought I had was just upping the capacitance to 4.7 MFD for both filter caps which would still be within tolerance of the original specs as I have a bunch of 4.7 MFD 250 WVDC electrolytic caps but no 2.2 MFD electrolytic caps higher than 100 WVDC.

Also as for the 50K ohm plate resistor, I have some 47k ohm resistors, and some 56k Ohm resistors at 1/2 watt and 1 Watt, would any of those work in the circuit if I just soldered one of them in across the tie points for the old fuse style resistor's socket above and just left the old resistor in place above for appearances sake?

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1927 Eveready (National Carbon) Model 1 TRF Radio - by captainclock1988 - 07-28-2020, 10:51 AM