Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1920s Atwater-Kent Model 46

Hello everyone, I received today from someone that wanted me to repair for them a 1920s Atwater-Kent Model 46 TRF Radio with with its original Cast Iron housed speaker, which has a dry-rotted rubber surround for the cone, which I was thinking I could replace that old rubber surround with a modern foam surround that would make this speaker sing again.

Another thing, is that this is an even earlier AC Set than my old Eveready Model 1 unit was so I'm wondering how involed this radio is going to be to restore compared to my Eveready?

I've found the service data for this unit online, one was in Beitmans, and one was through Riders, the Beitmans seemed to be more detailed than the Riders.

What do you think? I know Atwater-Kent was known for making pretty high end, high quality units which may or may not also mean more complicated to work on, but I'm not sure really.

Did I bite off more than I could chew with this thing or will this actually be easier to work on than my Eveready was?

Also under the tuning knob there seems to be a knob or something missing, but I'm not sure what it is, its a fairly long metal shaft with a threaded hole in the middle that sits directly under the tuning knob.

Thanks for your help.

-Levi

Messages In This Thread
1920s Atwater-Kent Model 46 - by captainclock1988 - 09-11-2020, 06:17 PM
RE: 1920s Atwater-Kent Model 46 - by Eliot Ness - 09-12-2020, 10:21 AM