Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Unknown car radio :can anyone identify it?

Hello everyone,
 I realise this is a long shot and a few pictures will make it easier and I hope to do that soon,but I hoped someone may be able to point me in the right direction for a start. The radio I am working on is a 1930s vintage set almost certainly American.When I first saw it I thought it was a Philco.
It runs on 6 volts ,is roughly the same size as a Philco F1540 .It has no built in speaker. 

The valve lineup is 6D6 6C6 6D6 75 42 and an 84 rectifier. It is a superhet using the 6C6 as an autodyne.

So far, so "could be any brand ".However there are some "unique "characteristics.
It has none of the characteristics of the Hudson H6 built by  RCA which I have just finished .Nor does it share any characteristics with the Delco 632 which is the radio I hope to begin work on next.
The original valves were all Raytheon. The original capacitors were all Sprague .The original paint on the outside was a deep navy blue colour.
The chassis inside the "box" is very similar to a Philco but the chassis is "suspended" inside the box on four nuts and bolts riding in (now slightly perished) grommets.The vibrator is a Zenith  but of course this may be a replacement of the original.( Did Zenith make car radios of this type at this time?)The control cables  of the  set and the tuning head which might have given a clue are sadly long gone. The grid cap clips are also a bit unusual in that they grip the grid  terminal on the top of the valve  in the usual way but they also have a little cap on the top making them easy to remove by flicking up with a screwdriver.There are no schematics  or paper stickers inside either the top or bottom covers.The output transformer is "on board". The set  looks as though it was secured to the firewall with two bolts.
It is likely to be  a mainstream U.S.  brand as  in New Zealand it was mostly mainstream brands which were imported here.
Maybe some of the characteristics will ring a bell for some Phorum readers. I hope so .
Thanks everyone and all the best, David

Messages In This Thread
Unknown car radio :can anyone identify it? - by Antipodal - 06-07-2021, 12:37 AM
Further musings on the autodyne - by Antipodal - 06-21-2021, 08:32 PM