Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ISO Tips: Refinishing Philco TV Cabinetry

I just purchased this vintage Philco television, which I would like to restore/upcycle. It's not currently functional, and the vintage TV redditors wisely recommended I at least look into repairing the electronic components before I upcycle into another use (e.g., bar cart, cat bed, shelf).

In the meantime, I want to properly restore the cabinetry, if nothing else, but I am a newbie to the DIY and furniture restoration world and I'm looking for any tips folks have! Even if I end up upcycling to a different use, I still want to preserve the original aesthetic (not intending to paint or do anything wild to it - mostly want to see it in its original glory!). I have been unable to affirmatively identify the year or model, and it's actually a bit difficult to tell if the cabinetry is real wood or some kind of laminate, which I know would affect my finishing approach. Does anyone have ideas? These are the only hints as to make and model (also pictured).

Size: ~20x16 in (screen), ~32x20.5 in (full console)
Brand: Philco
Type: Super 90 Cool Chassis
Numbers on Back: L4868 and 27-10464-10
Voltage: 120 Volts A.C. 60 Cycle, 170 Watts

I found it kind of looks like the television pictured in this vintage ad: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Or...871?_ul=IL

Any info on what model or year this TV is and best way to refinish and spiff up the cabinetry, dials, etc. would be appreciated!

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
ISO Tips: Refinishing Philco TV Cabinetry - by mrandall - 06-08-2021, 09:33 AM