Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HBC Dictator followed me home...

Yes, the escutcheons will need to be addressed...I think I will polish them, then use gun bluing to give them a bronze look again.

The use of the Dictator name by HBC didn't end with the war, as one might have thought, which is odd. They used the name briefly when the 1946-47 models came out, then switched to Baycrest and Messenger branding for radios. Maybe they realized the folly, or had some kind of public backlash? Or was the term "dictator" not as poorly received back then as it is today?

I've worked on a couple 1946 Dictator sets, and they seem to be a mish-mash of 1941 chassis, with newer "war-time" tubes thrown into the mix. And I was unable to find schematics for either of them. So...were there incomplete cabinets, chassis or whole sets sitting in storage? Or did The Bay have Dominion Electrohome make up sets, using leftover parts in storage? 

As a side note...Studebaker used the name Dictator on their upper line of cars, only to quickly drop the name in 1937, after Hitler tainted the word.

Messages In This Thread
HBC Dictator followed me home... - by Brad Winder - 11-09-2021, 11:57 PM
RE: HBC Dictator followed me home... - by Arran - 11-10-2021, 10:19 PM
RE: HBC Dictator followed me home... - by Brad Winder - 11-12-2021, 10:22 AM
RE: HBC Dictator followed me home... - by Arran - 11-23-2021, 07:08 AM