Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to Philco - bought a 1929 model 86

Hello all,
After a year or so of becoming interested in acquiring a Philco, I've purchased a 1929 model 86. The cabinet is in very very good condition considering the age of the radio. So far just the story of the radio alone has been enjoyable. I purchased the radio from a gentleman whose father bought it new in 1929. The stories of how the kids were not allowed near it and nobody touched the radio except the owner were all good to hear. The gentleman I bought it from was very sad to part with it since it had been in the family for so long. I assured him that I would continue to take care of it. I told him that I would invite him over or at the very least call him so he could hear the radio again in the near future.

I have only been able to identify it by photos on the internet. They knew it was bought new in 1929 so that made it fairly easy to nail down. I was wondering if there was originally some sort of label on the radio somewhere that listed the model number and other important info? It appears that there may have been some sort of label on the back. There seems to be an area where a 3 inch square label may have been at one time. I have a fairly basic knowledge of electrical components (ie I can use a volt meter etc...), I am debating whether to turn it over to a repair shop and have them give me a price to fix it or try to acquire tubes to replace and check the power supply and speaker? I'm not sure how delicate of an item i have here. I would tend to believe that like all things built in the day that they are fairly durable.

I do need some speaker cloth to replace the current one that has a large tear. Did these things come with a manual or instructions of some sort? I would like to have even a repro one if possible. I've search and searched and have found schematics but nothing that references an owners manual of any sort.

I see what you folks have been enjoying. Now the problem is not getting carried away!!!

Thanks
Matt

Messages In This Thread
New to Philco - bought a 1929 model 86 - by Guest - 05-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Re: New to Philco - bought a 1929 model 86 - by Guest - 05-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Re: New to Philco - bought a 1929 model 86 - by Guest - 05-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Re: New to Philco - bought a 1929 model 86 - by Guest - 05-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Re: New to Philco - bought a 1929 model 86 - by Guest - 05-17-2010, 07:01 AM
Re: New to Philco - bought a 1929 model 86 - by Guest - 06-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Re: New to Philco - bought a 1929 model 86 - by Guest - 06-12-2010, 08:29 PM