Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Speaker Plugs

I have looked through threads which I found in a search, and decided I might be best off with a new thread.

I have two Philco radios in my collection which I still need to restore - a 116-B and a 42-355. My workbench is pretty small, and I prefer to not have space taken up by a cabinet with an electrodynamic speaker, which would have to be connected to the chassis for the chassis to be powered up. I have designed and installed in my shop my Universal Shop Speaker and Dummy Field Coil which takes the place of the electrodynamic speaker with its output transformer and, most importantly, its field coil.

One thing which that system requires for each chassis being worked on is a cable with a speaker plug for that chassis on one end and banana plugs to connect to my system on the other end. Most of my Zeniths use 4-pin and 5-pin tube sockets on the back of the chassis for their speaker cables, so making up those cables was a breeze. Finding speaker plugs to match my Philcos is another matter. The 116-B has a large 4-pin plug which is not the same as the 4-pin tube bases with which I am familiar. The 42-355 uses the ubiquitous Philco 5-pin plug which is similar to but smaller than a 5-pin tube base.

I will buy a 4-pin plug from the auction site (if it is still there Wednesday when I get my Social Security payment). I don't see any of the Philco 5-pin plugs there. Do any of you have a source for those? I can make one (I have lots of pins removed from scrapped-out military connectors) but it will take some work. Does anyone have the dimensions for the 5-pin? It would be a big help if I have to make my own, and I might want to make variations for other Philcos which use the same plug with different wiring.

Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/

Messages In This Thread
Philco Speaker Plugs - by DaleHCook - 04-17-2023, 01:15 PM
RE: Philco Speaker Plugs - by DaleHCook - 04-20-2023, 12:23 PM
RE: Philco Speaker Plugs - by DaleHCook - 04-23-2023, 07:14 AM
RE: Philco Speaker Plugs - by DaleHCook - 04-27-2023, 12:19 PM