Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Won't pickup stations but will pick up am transmitter

I have restored 2 of these (53-1750) Philco's.  One of them recently stopped picking up AM radio stations - just a lot of buzzing throughout the tuning dial.  I have a small AM transmitter (purchased on ebay) which I can plug into the headphone jack in my computer (or any audio source) and  when placing the transmitter on the Philco, the Philco receives and plays the signal just fine at any frequency I choose.  

I checked the continuity of the Philco antenna - seems good and even hooked up an auxillary AM antenna, still no stations.  I've tested all the tubes, they're all good AND even swapped the tubes from the other Philco and still no stations, only buzzing.   I've have not tried re-aligning it but why would the alignment have gone bad when it was fine? 

I've checked all the connections in the radio, nothing loose, all caps are only a couple of years old, but maybe recap it again??   Not sure where to start looking for the issue in this thing.   It does work with the AM transmitter (see photo) that should be giving me some clue as to the problem, but not sure what.  Any ideas?  Thnx,