Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PHILCO MODEL 84

"I WILL CHECK THE RESISTER AND START TO LOOK INTO REWINDING THE COIL. IS THERE A WAY TO CHECK THEM."

Yes there is.With the set off and unplugged find pin 5 of the #77 mixer tube. It will have a 6K resistor a cap connected to it. The other end of the 6K resistor is connected to the osc coil. Connect your ohm meter there at the coil and to chaiss ground. Should read just a few ohms. If not time to rewind.

Just for grins with the set unplugged turn the volume all the way up. Hook the ohm meter from the ANT post to the GND post. Again should read just a few ohms. If not time to rewind the antenna coil.

"IN THIS PARTICULAR RADIO THERE ARE 3.COILS"
Correct. One is the Antenna coil (closest the the ANT post) one is the oscillator coil (The middle one) and one is the IF transformer.(The last one)

"CAN THE BLOCK CAPS BE BRIDGED WITH THE LIKE VALUE CAPS"
NO. The only thing bridging a cap a cross another cap is going to do add more capacity to that circuit. It does NOT affect the circuit if the original cap is leaky. It will not block any voltage that may be coming though a bad cap. Dig out the old and put in the new!!as codefox sez.

Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Messages In This Thread
PHILCO MODEL 84 - by Guest - 08-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Re: PHILCO MODEL 84 - by 7estatdef - 08-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Re: PHILCO MODEL 84 - by Guest - 08-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Re: PHILCO MODEL 84 - by codefox1 - 08-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Re: PHILCO MODEL 84 - by 7estatdef - 08-26-2010, 05:01 PM